Fleet Management Software – What’s New in 2018?
Vehicle Tracking / Thursday 05th April
With tracking devices becoming a staple part of developing cost-efficient operations within the transportation industry, fleet management software has changed the landscape of how businesses manage their fleets and drivers. With the capabilities of GPS technology continually being expanded, the future of fleet management looks set to only advance further.
With some big changes on the horizon, 2018 will become an important year for fleets with software becoming even more of an essential part of their operations. It’s vital for businesses to keep using the software to their advantage as much as they can, consistently working towards becoming more cost-efficient.
So what can we look forward to seeing this year in the industry? And how can implementing a vehicle tracking system help businesses to keep up with advancements? Let’s take a look.
Fleet Management Software in 2018 & Beyond: 4 Things to Know
1. Making Our Roads Safer
We’ve already seen how software has improved the safety of our roads with the implementation of software features such as car dash cam devices, lane change alerts and driver behaviour monitoring (e.g., speeding). With advancements in telematics and its integration into additional vehicle functions, the data which fleet managers receive from the software will only increase with new technology breakthroughs. This includes using real-time data to effectively manage drivers while on the move rather than addressing concerns after the incident. Continued driver education will continue to be a key point of vehicle tracker software, and challenging dangerous driving habits will become even easier.
2. Advanced Data Analysis
With fleet management software enabling wider coverage and more advanced data to be collected than ever, businesses must adapt to use this information to their advantage. This means presenting and analysing the data in the best way to establish how you can use it to improve the management of your fleet. It includes both short and long-term planning for your operations and how you can use large amounts of data to take your company in the direction you want it to go in. Aligning your software use with long-term goals for your business is key this year to not only keeping up with industry changes, but use all the benefits on offer to you. This includes greater integration between telematics and management, including the possibility of adding more functions such as accounting software. This makes sense when you consider that one of the main aims of using a vehicle tracking device in your fleet is to reduce your costs. This year, businesses must tackle the challenge head on to find the best solutions for the high volume of data they’ll receive and how to use it for profitable gain.
3. Higher Fuel Tax
With the environment and carbon emissions becoming a government focus point, fleets will be under more pressure than ever to watch their fuel costs as taxes look set to rise further. For those using more basic tracking software like a simple GPS tracking device in their vehicles, they’ll no doubt start to consider the ROI on offer from using more advanced capabilities of vehicle tracking software. This includes making huge savings when it comes to excessive fuel usage. This will come through ensuring routes are planned efficiently and also monitoring any driver behaviour which wastes more fuel than necessary such as engine idling time.
4. Focus on Mobility
With businesses under pressure to save money, it will become more important to look closely at the type of fleet you’re managing and whether it’s costing your business money. For example, it may be more difficult to manage vehicles and become cost-efficient when drivers are using grey fleet (their own cars for business use). Fleet software and the data it produces is going to help businesses move towards the best model for their needs. Luckily, the flexible nature of car tracking device UK systems will ensure whatever the right option for your needs, it’s able to adapt. This will help businesses continue to get the best ROI from implementing tracking software by focusing on not only the right trackers but the right vehicles too. This includes advancements in both electric cars and autonomous vehicles. Expect big changes ahead!
How Business Vehicle Tracking Can Benefit Your Fleet
When looking at the costs your company could be reducing with a tracking device system, this handy TomTom savings calculator helps businesses calculate how much they can save every year. Using GPS live software to manage your fleet will provide many ongoing benefits. This includes:
- GPS tracker: Tracking the exact location of your vehicles at any time, enhancing communication with your fleet and improving control over operations
- Geo-fencing: Creating virtual barriers around specific zones to manage arrival and departure times, where your fleet travels and alerts for unauthorised travel
- App Integration: Using vehicle tracking app capabilities to help managers who are on the move and keep customers in the loop, especially if they have their own access to the data
- Fuel consumption: Saving as much fuel as possible by helping your fleet to drive as efficiently as they can and reduce engine idling times
- Driving practices: Preventing and educating your workforce about unsafe driver behaviour, including harsh braking and speeding
- Routing: Enhancing processes by using planning functions and live traffic to improve journey times and create less stress for your drivers
- Driver hours: Tacho integration to help companies comply with driver hour regulations by automating administrative tasks (e.g., accurate, digitised timesheets) and providing more safety alerts for driver rest times
- Vehicle servicing: Managing the maintenance and service plans of your fleet to ensure repairs are dealt with quickly, breakdowns are reduced and business interruptions (due to servicing requirements) are kept to a minimum
- Live camera footage: Having greater visibility of your fleet using fleet management live dash cams to see a feed of your vehicles whenever you need to
- Customer satisfaction: Offering improved customer service with transparent tracking, better communication and faster turnaround times
Use these benefits to become as cost-efficient as possible, boosting your profits as well as your reputation in the industry.
Finding the Right Car Tracking Device
When looking for the best value tracking system or needing advice on whether your current software is right for your business needs, it can be difficult finding the time and resources to locate the information required to make an informed decision. Many businesses are turning to those with specialist knowledge to provide them with the expert insight they need.
By using a vehicle tracking comparison channel, you can easily narrow down your options, whatever your requirements.
What will comparison experts look at?
Your Business Setup
The type of tracker for one business may not be suitable for another. This includes plug and play devices which are self-installed and can be easily moved from vehicle to vehicle. Hardwired options need professional installation, but produce more advanced data and integration possibilities. You can even find trackers which are integrated with satnav screens.
However small or large your fleet, vehicle tracking experts can find the best car tracking device for your needs. They’ll also look at the types of vehicle you need to track, including small tracking devices if looking for a motorcycle tracker and other type of specialist devices such as van trackers.
How you intend to use the tracking device will help your advisor understand your specific requirements. This includes courier services, delivery of goods and transportation services. An expert can talk you through how you can get the most out of the software for its intended purpose and features which may be suitable for your needs.
From this information, they can let you know the following:
- Which recommended manufacturers have packages which meet your needs. This may include offerings from brands such as Teletrac Navman, Quartix, Fleetmatics (now Verizon Connect), TomTom, Crystal Ball and RAM Tracking.
- Which features are the most suited to your goals whether it’s a simple GPS tracker for car dashboards or a hardwired device with full telematics integration.
- What the best value trackers are, including those which will give you a great ROI rather than just the lowest priced options.
- Which type of vehicle tracker is most suitable for your business structure and vehicle types.
- What the next steps are and how you can organise for your system to be installed.
Here at the VTC, we differ from other so-called comparison experts. For something this important, we believe in offering a personal service rather than just providing results on a screen. It’s easier to get customised advice if you talk through your choices with an expert rather than spend time trawling through your comparison results without understanding the implications of each option for your business. It’s the easiest and best way to find the right fleet management software for requirements while keeping your short and long-term aims in mind.
Speak to an expert now and get a free consultation and quotation – Find the right vehicle tracker today.
Also find this post on our Google+ profile.
GET YOUR QUOTE TODAY