7 Steps To Find The Best Vehicle Tracking Device For Your Business Fleet
Vehicle Tracking / Saturday 14th April
At Vehicle Tracking Channel we offer the easiest way to compare prices for the vehicle tracking device you need. If you’d like us to find the best price for you, get your free, no-obligation consultation and quotation now.
Deciding on the most suitable vehicle tracking device for your business depends entirely on your needs, business setup and your goals for implementing fleet management software.
Fear not, in just a few simple steps, we will guide you on how to make the best choice.
Step 1: What’s Your Budget?
Define how much you can invest each month and stick to your budget – this will save you time and money as you won’t be looking to change providers every month.
Make sure you find out the total cost, including:
- Any monthly payments
When searching for the best vehicle tracking device, consider what is included and compare with what you need and absolutely can’t do without. The cheapest option may not cover everything and won’t give you best ROI in the long-term.
TomTom (Entry Level Vehicle Tracking)
- Real-time vehicle tracking
- Journey information saved for 90 days
- Geo-fencing instant alerts
- Basic trip reports (start/end time, distance travelled etc.)
- Requires self-installation
TomTom (Advanced Package)
- Communication functions
- Digital Tachograph
- 24hr access
- External antenna for wider coverage
- Extensive reporting
Step 2: Clarify the Purpose of the Trackers
We’ve listed a few examples here, however, there are endless reasons for implementing a vehicle tracking device into your fleet – before you start looking for the right tracker, make sure you’re very clear on your intended usage of the device.
- Helping you monitor and track your fleet while on the move
- Using a vehicle tracking app which will provide you with information about your drivers and vehicles from any location
- Monitoring a specific type of vehicle, e.g. are you looking for the best motorcycle tracker to increase their security? Or do you need a set of van trackers?
- Creating a system which will help both couriers, managers and customers locating the nearest taxi to a destination of a caller
Step 3: Set Your Goals
Understanding the end goal will help you find the most suitable system for your needs.
Here are three examples of common goals we hear about at the VTC.
- Saving money
- Monitoring excessive consumption of fuel
- Lowering insurance premiums by collecting data on the go, helping you hit some of your largest costs – fuel, labour, insurance and maintenance.
- Address behaviour which is costing you money: inaccurate overtime claims, journey times and extra administrative tasks.
- Becoming more efficient
- This is possibly one of the best features of installing a vehicle tracking device.
- Drivers can shorten journey times utilising features such as live traffic updates and journey planning.
- Tacho integration helps to automate the submission of timesheets which may have previously required drivers to travel back to base to manually report their hours.
- Advanced monitoring systems and information gained allows you to improve the security of your vehicles, keep on top of repairs and servicing and cut down on fuel.
- Improving customer satisfaction levels
- Allow your customers to track the delivery driver on their own.
- Promote improved timescales for when a driver is likely to reach them.
- Reduce the chances of letting clients down by calculated modifications of routes, taking advantage of the shortest and least busy roads.
- Fulfill customer promises with ease, even improving the terms currently on offer.
Step 4: Align Business Setup with Installation
The type of installation you choose will depend on the features you need and your business setup.
- Provide greater coverage, security, data analysis and integration capabilities
- Usually more expensive, difficult to transfer to another vehicle and require professional installation.
Plug and play trackers
- Ideal when switching vehicles, self-installed, easy to transfer to another car
- Limited data collection capabilities (basic GPS tracker functions)
- Can be removed from the car when not in use and may have an anti-tamper alert system
Satnav integrated trackers
- Integrated with sat nav screens: ideal for in-cab routing, vehicle-specific programming and for finding points of interest such as petrol stations or rest points.
Step 5: Understand Available Features & Integration Possibilities
The best vehicle tracking devices help you maximise the available features whilst making the integration as easy as possible.
Three real-life examples on how it will work for you:
- You want a vehicle tracking device which will integrate with your car’s mechanisms and record driver behaviour (speeding / harsh braking). Using this information, you could alert the driver via a terminal attached to the dashboard, improving the driving standards.
- Geo-fencing defines the borders your vehicles must stay within and integration with video technology via a car dash cam helps to lower insurance premiums further.
- Accurate record of driver hours will alert both management and drivers if they must take a break or are reaching the upper limit of their allocation.
The advanced features could help you towards business compliance, not only in corporate responsibility towards the environment but also towards driver safety.
Step 6: Find a Reputable Brand
You may have found the perfect vehicle tracking device, but has it been produced by a trusted manufacturer? What to look out for:
- Online reviews
- Industry reputation
- Product testing by verified resources
- Warranty listing
- Installation requirements
- Price packages – can they be customised with additional bolt-ons?
Brands you may recognise include:
- RAM Tracking
- Crystal Ball
- Verizon Connect (Fleetmatics)
- Teletrac Navman
Final Step: Make the Process Hassle-Free from the Start
While there’s a lot to consider when looking for the right vehicle tracking device, there’s a simple solution which makes identifying the most suitable system quick and easy.
Comparison experts at the Vehicle Tracking Channel have a wealth of expertise and knowledge about the tracking industry, narrowing down the options list considerably just by asking you a few questions:
- Size of your fleet
- Types of vehicle involved
- Specific feature requirement – car dash cams
Instead of wasting hours trying to identify the right fleet management live system, we’ll talk you through your matching devices, what is included in the package and the best deal we can find for you.
We only recommend devices from reputable brands who are well-respected and trusted in the tracking industry.
Our advisors provide a personalised service, taking the time to understand your requirements and finding products which match.
Whatever your circumstances, we’ll find the best deals on the market and ones which will provide a great ROI.
Also find this post on our Google+ profile.
GET YOUR QUOTE TODAY